Learn how to set up Altacast Standalone with your streaming server. This version is free to use as an encoder alongside other programs.
Server type: SHOUTcast 2, SHOUTcast 1, Icecast
Download Page: http://www.altacast.com/index.php/downloads/
Altacast is a continuity of Oddcast/Edcast (reborn) that were free, open-source encoders.
What we love about Altacast
- With Altacast Standalone, you can set up multiple streams.
- Record your stream
- Retrieve the metadata from an URL, file, or update it manually.
We'll use version 1.1 for this tutorial.
How to setup
1. How to install
- Proceed with the download and run the installer
If you want to broadcast in AAC or MP3 codecs, leave Launch AltaCast unchecked. Then click Finish.
You will need to download files that will allow you to stream with MP3 or AAC.
- Download the MP3 Lame 3.100 from RareWares.
- Also, download the libFAAC dll for Win32.
- Extract the files (lame, lame_enc.dll & libfaac.dll), and copy them to the Altacast directory (e.g. C:\Program Files\altacast)
2. Encoder setup
- Launch AltaCast.
- Click Add Encoder.
- Right-click the encoder and select Configure.
For radios hosted on Cloudradio, you'll find your server or connection details on the radio dashboard.
If you don't have a radio hosting service, you can easily create Shoutcast or Icecast servers on our radio console.
Entering your server details
It supports Icecast, Shoutcast 1, and Shoutcast 2. You just have to input your server settings as shown below:
Server Type: Icecast
Server IP: e.g. 10048.cloudrad.io
Port: e.g. 8000
Encoder Password: e.g. n3t8zdw0k
Audio stream settings:
- We recommend 128 Kbps for MP3 or 64 Kbps for AAC.
- Click OK to finish.
3. Connecting to your streaming server
- Right-click on your encoder.
- Select Connect.
4. Metadata settings
It's simple to specify the URL, file, or custom metadata. On the main window, click Edit next to Metadata.
Altacast will now stream audio from your microphone. If you don't have the option to capture sound from your sound card, try using it alongside Voicemeeter.
Need an alternative to Altacast (formerly Oddcast/Edcast)? Explore over 20 radio automation, DJ, and encoder programs on our broadcast software guide.