Learn how to setup your broadcasting server with BUTT (Broadcast Using This Tool). All the instructions included and it's free!
Platform: Windows, macOS & Linux
Server type: SHOUTcast 2, SHOUTcast 1, Icecast
Download Page: https://danielnoethen.de/
BUTT (broadcast using this tool) is a free encoder program that can stream audio from your microphone, line input, or sound card to an Icecast, Steamcast, or SHOUTcast server. It runs on Windows, Mac OS, and Linux.
How to setup BUTT with your broadcasting server
Luckily, it's pretty easy to install.
- Windows: Double-click the setup.exe file to run the installer. Follow the on-screen instructions.
- MacOS: Mount the program by double-clicking the file and dropping it in your application folder.
Here is the program's first look:
2. BUTT Encoder Setup
- Configure BUTT with your server by clicking on Settings.
- In the new window ‘butt settings’ click the ADD button, under server input.
Entering your server details
You can choose between Icecast & Shoutcast. Set this according to your radio current radio server. If you are using our server, we support both, so you can choose Icecast or Shoutcast.
For the address, port, password, use the information provided by the host. If you are using Icecast, also provide the mount point /
Icecast & Steamcast - Example
Address: e.g. 10135.cloudrad.io
Port: e.g. 9020
Password: e.g. c2qlqbb522
IceCast mountpoint: /live
IceCast user: e.g. dj_user
3. Audio Settings & Connecting
BUTT allows you to configure your stream's format and bitrate.
- Select the "Audio" Tab.
- Click the ‘Audio Device’ input box to set the audio input (You can stream sound from your audio card, or from a microphone).
- Under ‘Streaming,’ set the bitrate and codec (We recommend streaming at 128 kbps MP3 format or 64 kbps AAC+).
Click the play icon in the BUTT on the main panel. Upon a successful connection, the status changes from 'connecting' to display the streaming duration.
You should now see in your console dashboard that you are connected.
For more information, check out the BUTT manual.
Start your internet radio with us
We offer two excellent options. Get started easily.